Creeping Thyme SCARLET (Red) Perennial Ground Cover Fragrant HERB Fragrant Summer Blooms Non-GMO 500 Seeds
Pure Seed ? Non-GMO ? Fresh ? No Filler
- Creeping Thyme SCARLET (Red) Perennial Ground Cover, Fragrant, Blooms the first year, 2-4"
- There is a lot to love about Red Creeping Thyme. In early summer Red Creeping Thyme covers the floor of your garden in a sea of magenta or lavender-red.
- A low, mat-forming plant with fragrant foliage as well as beautiful blooms, it is easy and irresistible in any sunny setting.
- Just a few inches high, the plant is densely covered with tiny, dark green, shiny leaves that are intensely aromatic when crushed?plant them between paving stones and enjoy their fragrance every time you pass by. You'll find yourself in wonderland with the thick carpet of fragrant vivid blooms carpeting your garden.
- Evergreen in the South, semievergreen in the North.
- Plant 12 to 15 inches apart in full sun and well-drained soil.
- They will start blooming in late spring, reaching 12-18 inches wide and only a couple of inches tall.
- Thymus or thymon is Greek for "courage." Through the centuries it has been used for traditions relating to this theme. Roman soldiers bathed in thyme water, European knights carried thyme tokens. Other folklore talks of thyme as being the home of fairies.
- Genus Thymus
- Species praecox
- Variety 'Coccineus'
- Zone 4 - 9
- Bloom Start to End: Late Spring - Mid Summer
- Habit Prostrate, Hanging
- Plant Height 2 in - 4 in
- Plant Width 12 in - 18 in
- Additional Characteristics: Easy Care Plants, Flower, Bloom First Year, Fragrance
- Bloom Color: Red
- Light Requirements: Full Sun
- Moisture Requirements: Moist, well-drained
- Resistance: Drought Tolerant
- Soil Tolerance: Normal, loamy
- Soil PH Category: Alkaline Soil, Neutral Soil
- Hardiness Zones: 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b
- Uses: Containers, Border Plant, Edging Plant, Groundcover, Landscape, Ornamental, Outdoor, Border, Ground Cover, Foliage Interest
- Uses Notes: use in rock gardens, as ground cover or between paving stones.
- Maintenance Notes: Trim stems as necessary to control growth.
- Features: Fragrant Foliage, Deer Resistant, Drought Tolerant, Salt Tolerant, Small/Miniature, Perennial, Short height
HOW TO PLANT CREEPING THYME SEEDS
SHORT PLANTING INSTRUCTIONS
- Seed Preparation: Thyme seeds do best with a little cold stratification or an overnight soak.
- Plant outdoors in full sun or partial shade in loamy, fertile soil, when all danger of frost is past.
- Dig the soil at least 6" deep and mix with organic matter.
- Simply scatter the seeds on surface of the prepared bed and pat the seeds into the soil. Seeds need light to germinate. Do not cover.
- Some sun must reach the seeds in order for them to germinate. Keep them moist until they are established. Thin 6-8 inches apart.
- A quick grower, it spreads fast, filling in bare areas.
- Mature plants tolerate drought very well.
- Germination: 85% in lab testing.
DETAILED CREEPING THYME PLANTING INSTRUCTIONS
Creeping Thyme plant can be grown from seed, and it takes 14 to 21 days to sprout in USDA Zones 3 - 9.
Creeping thyme ground cover grows well in soil that is either neutral or slightly alkaline.
Creeping Thyme self-sows easily, dropping it seeds after blooming season is over. This maintains a vigorous mat of Creeping Thyme.
STARTING CREEPING THYME SEEDS INDOORS
Ideal, is to sow the Creeping Thyme seed indoors 6 - 8 weeks before the last frost.
Here are a few steps guide to follow for growing creeping thyme from seeds:
Gently scatter the seeds on top of the soil in the container you will be planting the creeping thyme
Next, gently scatter a little soil over the seeds or no covering.
Cover with a plastic wrap.
Place the container in a warm location at 70 Fahrenheit.
Provide a good light source.
Seeds will germinate from 1 to 4 weeks, depending on temperature.
Once Creeping Thyme seedlings are 2-3 inches high, plant them where you will be growing thyme in your garden.
Plant creeping thyme 6 to 12 inches apart to allow for its spreading habitat.
STARTING CREEPING THYME SEEDS OUTDOORS
Plant creeping thyme seeds directly outside after the danger of frost has passed. Soak seeds for 24 hours in warm water prior to planting.
Prepare a seed bed, loosen the soil and remove weeds.
Scatter the Creeping Thyme ground cover seeds evenly and press them lightly into the soil.
Keep the soil consistently moist, but not soaked.
Thyme prefers a sandy, dry soil. Avoid planting in heavy, wet soils.
Creeping Thyme is a beautiful ground cover, between stepping stones or rock crevices, and to edge garden beds.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT PLANTING CREEPING THYME SEEDS
How long do Creeping Thyme seeds take to germinate?
Seeds typically germinate within seven to 21 days at 65 to 70°F. For growing indoors, sow seeds in organic potting soil, either in trays or two-inch containers. Sprinkle seeds on top of the soil or covered lightly to a depth of 1/16 of an inch at most, and maintain consistent moisture for germination
When do I plant Creeping Thyme seeds?
Creeping thyme does best in an area that gets about four hours of sun a day. Planting should be done in late spring or early summer, after the fear of frost has passed.
How far apart do you plant Creeping Thyme seeds?
Scatter the seeds across the designated site and press them firmly into the soil, or plant two to three seeds 12 to 18 inches apart in staggered rows.
Plant seeds no deeper than 1/16 of an inch.
How many Creeping Thyme seeds do I need per square foot?
Directly sow creeping thyme outdoors after all danger of frost has passed. Prepare a seed bed, loosening the soil and weeding it.
Scatter seeds and press them firmly into the earth: do not cover.
Sow approximately 5000 seeds per 100 square feet.
Can I plant creeping thyme seeds in fall?
Free shipping on all orders in the USA.
Our amazing support team is here to help. Text us at 678 316 0940 and get an instant response
Your Payment is Secure and So is your Purchase. Simply return it within 30 days for an exchange.
Grab a hosting plan for that small business or personal website. Fast Setup, great speeds, low prices. Managed Hosting Too.Text us at 678 316 0940